Utilize este identificador para referenciar este registo:
|Título:||Necrosis of a Guinea Pig Stomach after Contact with Povidone-Iodine: a Case Report|
|Citação:||J Morphol Sci 2013; 30 (1): 55-58|
|Resumo:||Rodents are the most frequently used animals in surgical experimentation. It is estimated that guinea pigs in particular are the third most commonly used species in this context. To disinfect guinea pigs’ skin, either alcohol or surgical iodine are most often used. In the context of an animal research project, a Nissen operation was performed in an adult male guinea pig. Because of accidental contamination of the operative field, a 10% povidone-iodine cutaneous solution was applied to the serosa of the anterior wall of the stomach and to the gastric fundus. The guinea pig died 12 hours after surgery due to an acute necrotizing hemorrhagic gastritis. Although there have been a few reports of povidone-iodine toxicity in the guinea pig, as far as the authors could determine, this is the first time that such a serious abdominal complication is reported. The authors believe that the possibility of a similar event should be taken into consideration when planning, executing and interpreting experiments in the guinea pig.|
|Aparece nas colecções:||CIR - Artigos|
CPR - Artigos
Todos os registos no repositório estão protegidos por leis de copyright, com todos os direitos reservados.